FUN & GAMES TOY LIBRARY INC.
RULES AND POLICIES (August 2013)
Welcome to the Fun and Games Toy Library. To ensure the smooth running of your library and in fairness to all members, please note and observe the following membership conditions.
- Annual membership will be one year from the date of registration.
- Membership is not transferable, but can be deferred or refunded at the Committee’s discretion.
- All members are expected to participate in fundraising events.
- Members are responsible for notifying the Librarian of any changes to your address or telephone number.
- Membership may be cancelled at the discretion of the Committee.
Category A: $90 plus up to four duties per year
Category B: $170 plus no duties
Category C: $60 plus up to four duties per year (for Community Services Card holders)
Category D: $130 plus no duties (for Community Services Card holders)
Six month special: $100 plus joining fee, and no duties
One-off joining fee: $20
In addition, we have special membership rates for members with children who have special needs.
Those members who choose Category A or C membership will be rostered on duty based on their preferred duty day.
Rosters are sent out regularly, and you are responsible for the days you have been rostered on.
If you are unable to do your rostered day you have two options.
- Tell the librarian (at least one week in advance) you are unable to do it and pay $25.00 towards a reliever who can do that day.
- Swap with a friend, (But you are responsible if they don’t turn up and you will be fined.)
If you do not tell the Librarian or arrange a suitable replacement you will be fined $50.00
Toy Library Sessions
Session Times: Monday, Friday, Saturday 9:00 – 11.30am
- Toys will not be issued after 11:20am When choosing toys, please remember that unsupervised children are not allowed in the toy room.
There is a public carpark adjacent to the Cathedral. Carparking rules will be enforced however we have been granted free parking for members while they are conducting Toy Library business.
The library is closed on public holidays. We also close for approximately four weeks during the December/January holidays. Please check the noticeboard at the Library and notices in the newsletter for opening and closing dates.
We recommend that members do duty without their children present if possible. The time is too long for most children and it can be difficult for the parent to focus on counting toys in.
- Duty members must be at the library by 9:00am for set up and are required to stay until 11:45am to help pack up.
- Toys must be counted in by description on the box, not by the number of pieces.
- Members on duty are expected to help with other tasks such as cleaning, please check with the librarian.
- You may need to direct members to clean toys if necessary.
- Please remember to sign the roster book (with the Librarian) when you are on duty.
If you are unable to do your rostered duty because you or your child is ill you need to find a replacement volunteer – this can be a friend or family member if you can’t find another toy library member to swap duties.
Health & Safety
Please do not bring sick children in to the Toy Library. If the Librarian can not work because of infectious disease (e.g. chickenpox, measles, mumps, influenza etc), and a replacement can not be found, the Library may be closed at short notice.
It is our aim to provide and promote the safe use of toys. Please let us know of any safety concerns you may have about a toy. The Toy Library is not responsible for any damage to person or property caused during the use of toy library property.
It is the responsibility of each member to ensure appropriate toys are chosen for children.
It is the responsibility of each member to ensure that age appropriate toys are chosen for children. Where a family comprises of children both under and over the appropriate age for the toy, the member must supervise and protect those under the appropriate age for the toy whilst the toy is in use.
- Toys are issued for a period of two weeks.
- A member may take out 4 toys + 2 puzzles + 2 video tapes/audio tapes/CD Roms + costumes.
- All members must count toys by the description on the box before they are issued, as once they are issued they are the full responsibility of the member.
- Please do not exchange toys with other members or friends or borrow toys on their behalf.
- Please care for toys so that others may continue to enjoy them after you. Never leave toys outside. Always clean toys at least one day before return (to allow time to dry thoroughly).
- DVD hire is independent of the usual toy allowance. DVDs are to be hired out at one for $2, or 3 for $5. A prepaid DVD card for 12 DVDs is available for $20.
- Batteries are not provided in battery operated toys. Members may supply their own batteries and on returning the toy to the Library, are entitled to remove the batteries or may donate the batteries by leaving them in the toy.
- All toys must be returned clean, undamaged and with all pieces, including the boxes, present.
- Puzzles should be assembled
- If a toy is returned in a dirty condition (and the member has declined to clean it), a fine of $5 will be imposed as the toy will have to be removed from circulation to be cleaned.
- When returning toys, members are required to remain with their toys and help the duty member to count the pieces.
- Toys returned a week or more overdue will incur a fine which is currently $2 per week per toy.
Missing Pieces / Lost Toys
- If a piece of toy is missing, the toy will be re-issued to the member for another two weeks in order that they find the missing piece.
- If the piece cannot be found, and it is not integral to the operation of the toy, a fine (currently $5 + $2 admin fee) is payable. However if the replacement cost of this piece exceeds $5 then the member will be charged accordingly. The fine is refundable should the piece subsequently be returned before purchase of a replacement, (but not the admin fee.)
- If the piece cannot be found, and it is integral to the operation of the toy, the member will be required to replace the toy and may take away the original one.
Broken / Damaged Toys and Packaging
- A fine (currently $5) will be charged for each broken item, or if a toy has been rendered useless then the member will be charged the replacement cost as assessed by the toy buyer.
- If a DVD is returned damaged or if it has been rendered useless then the member will be charged the replacement cost as assessed by the toy buyer.
If a member wishes to return a toy that has a missing or broken piece but is not able to pay the $5 immediately, the toy will be re-issued to the member for a two-week period. If after this time the member is still unable to pay the fine, the toy will be returned and the member will be unable to take out any further toys until the outstanding fine is paid.