Toy Cleaning Tips
Members are responsible for ensuring that toys are returned in a clean and dry condition – including their boxes/bags. Here are some great tips for cleaning toys from the Toy Library Federation of New Zealand.
- Bicarbonate of Soda or vinegar are great environmentally friendly, non-toxic and economical products to clean toys.
- Janola wipes are great for cleaning toys.
- For getting into those corners, use old toothbrushes, nail brushes or old dish scrubbers. These are great for large items such as outdoor toys and wheels.
- Cleaning 24 hours in advance of returns is best: please dry toys well with fresh air or a towel. Wet toys in plastic bags can be very smelly!
- If your child has been ill, please disinfect all toys (but don’t soak) and dry well.
- Some baby toys can’t be put in water. Just wipe such toys well with disinfectant and dry.
- All plain Duplo can be washed/rinsed/dried easily. A zipped net bag or colander dipped into washing water and then rinsed is quick and easy. Please drain and dry thoroughly.
- Bath toys need to be cleaned as the dirty soapy bath water builds up. Please degrease using detergent/bicarbonate of soda or vinegar.
- Please check outdoor toys for no sand or water.
- For puzzles and games, where necessary, wipe pieces with a damp cloth that has been dipped into water with a mild cleaning/disinfectant agent.